Header Ads

Breaking News
recent

Famous Forts of Pakistan

Royal Fort Lahore 
The Lahore Fort, locally referred to as Shahi Qila, is located in the north-western corner of Lahore, adjacent to the Walled City. In 1981, the fort was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site along with the Shalimar Gardens. Although most parts of the Royal Fort were constructed around 1566 A.D. by the Mughal Emperor, Akbar the Great, there is evidence that a mud fort was in existence here in 1021 A.D. as well, when Mahmood of Ghazna invaded this area. Akbar demolished the old mud fort and constructed most of the modern Fort, as we see it today, on the old foundations. The part of the wall of the Elephant Steps towards the Fort’s inner gate are scarred by bullet marks, bearing testimony to the Sikh Civil War of 1847 A.D.

Rawat Fort 
Rawat Fort is located 17 km east of Rawalpindi, on the Grand Trunk (G.T) Road leading to Lahore. Gakkhars, a fiercely independent tribe of the Potohar Plateau built the fort in early 16th century. The grave of a Gakkhar Chief, Sultan Sarang Khan is located inside the fort. He died in 1546 AD while fighting against the forces of Sher Shah Suri. While dares to climb the broken steps inside the tomb, one may get a panoramic view of the plateau and the Mankiala Stupa.

Pharwala Fort 
Pharwala is an historic Fort located about 40 km from Rawalpindi in Kahuta, Punjab. Its one side is naturally defended by a small Himalayan range and the other by the Swaan River.It is a Gakhar fort built in the 15th century on the ruins of a 10th century Hindi Shahi Fort.The Mughal Emperor, Babar conquered the fort in 1519, however, after the Mughals reconciled with the Gakhars, the fort was returned to them. Later in 1825, Sikhs expelled Gakhars from this fort.

Rohtas Fort 
Rohtas Fort is 109 km from Rawalpindi. It is located about 6 km south-west of Dina Town. The fort is one of the most impressive historical monuments in Pakistan. It was built by Afghan ruler Sher Shah Suri, between 1540 and 1547 AD. It served as a huge fortified base for military operations against Gakkhars by Sher Shah Suri. It was later used by Mughal emperor Akbar and Sikhs. Within the huge terraced rampart walls with robust bastions and twelve gates, is located another fortress, palaces and ancillary buildings.

Attock Fort 
It is situated about 101 km west of Islamabad on the left bank of Indus River. The fort was completed in 1583 under the supervision of Khawaja Shamsuddin Khawafi, a minister of Emperor Akbar. The Mughal caravan sarai outside the fort, which is almost on the G.T. Road, was also built during this period.

Multan Fort 
Multan Fort was built on a mound separating it from the city by the old bed of river Ravi. Its date cannot be fixed with accuracy. When intact, its circumference was 6,600 ft. having 46 bastions, including two


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.